I want to share with you many of the things that are about accepting myself and coming out.
1. Since coming out I have drawn closer to God. It sounds crazy but it is true, before accepting myself as Gay I was apathetic to religion, trying to make it work and using it as an effective social structure and community but now I feel far more connected to the Lord my Savior than I ever have before.
2. I have become far more tolerant of others in their struggles that I might not understand but that I can sympathize with because of the recognition of my own battles.
3. I have been able to stop lying to the people around me about everything, from the reason I left my college of choice, to why I don’t like to date Asian Girls
4. I no longer have to be so concerned about people’s views or feelings about me because I know who I am and I am proud of that fact.
5. I have found a community in which I don’t feel apart from but feel connected with, someone who instead of devoted to a life on the fringe of society, I want to take active part in it.
6. I have discovered who my true friends are, that is the friends who have taken the time to value me based upon my merits, not based on the stereotype of a word.
7. I am able to take a more active role in the places where I felt isolated from, mainly because I have so much more confidence in myself.
8. I am able to take an active role in advocacy because I finally have a cause that I believe in that I see as worth fighting for.
9. I am able to be a beacon, a light, a help to others who are struggling with accepting their sexuality or dealing with religious devotion as well.
10. Most of all, I am happy. I had lived a life of self-hatred and constantly reinforced homophobia, but since I have accepted myself and come out I never been happier. It has brought some great sorrow as well, but it has brought the most sincere joy.
So often I hear about the pain that is associated with coming out and the regret that is found after you begin to accept your sexuality and SO I leave this as an open question to you. I have provided 10 things that I feel have been hidden blessings since I came out. What, for you, are the best things, the positive aspects of accepting yourself and coming out?