Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gabriel Gray or Cassius Clay?

I have faced some demons in my life and I often wonder if I have beaten them, or if I am just in a temporary lull before they cascade over me again. Is this normal? I had an extreme devil that haunted my life and after I fought it back to beyond the realm of my consciousness it has always been waiting in the wings, waiting to take ground again, gathering strength and power. When I look at this daemon and the forces that it is gathering in preparation for another attack I wonder why I do not just surrender to it? Why keep spending my time fighting it when that time could be spent elsewhere? I wonder will I be like Gabriel Gray or Cassius Clay?

Will I let the devil inside me control my actions, submitting myself to it? Or will I become a fighter and a champion? Do I become the boulder that withstands the blows of the river only to be broken and hewn? Or do I submit and roll becoming a smooth stone similar to those around me on the riverbed? Do I approach this from the East, which would have me in a Zen like state accepting that which I can not change? Or should I come from the West changing that which I cannot accept? Or do I take a leaf out of the book of Bruce Wayne and accept that I might fall down but pick myself back up again?

After all, Life is like a knife fight in a dusty bar if you get knocked down, you best gets up again.


"On the sixth day, God created man in his own image. Now it's up to us to figure it all out. Right, wrong. Good, evil. In each of us is the capacity to decide what drives our actions. So what is it that makes some choose selflessness, the need to devote oneself to something greater, while others know only self-interest? Isolating themselves in a world of their own making? Some seek love, even if unrequited, while others are driven by fear and betrayal. There are those who see their choices as dark proof of God's absence, while others follow a path of noble destiny. But in the end, good, evil, right or wrong, what we choose is never what we really need. For that is the real cosmic joke. The real gift that God has left behind." - Gray




"I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life." - Clay

1 comment:

  1. Consistent with my love of paradox, I will say that I think there is no one right answer that fits all situations of your or anyone else's life, David. Accepting what you can't change will be right in some situations. Fighting what you can't accept will be right for others. If there IS one constant, I think it's this: listen to your conscience and the voice of the Spirit as best you can, do your best to discern God's will for you, and pursue in your life that which is good and true and brings you the greatest happiness and growth.

    ReplyDelete