Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent Begins

My Patriarchal Blessing states: "Through your honest effort and the gift of Jesus Christ you will be able to inherit eternal glory with your eternal companion, in the celestial kingdom where glory and happiness will never end."

What does it mean? what constitutes my honest effort? Obviously the Lord knew that I wouldn't be able to live up to snuff, but who can? HE knew that I needed to know this facet of my spirit and it is important for me to have this. What is this honest effort? And who is this eternal companion? is it a choice young daughter, destined to be a wildflower? or is it a husband? and is this a promise to me of my place in the Celestial Kingdom? or is it simply a goal to work towards but only after I give my all? Is it common to most blessings or is it a pearl of great price? Either way it is still attainable as long as I can look in the mirror and know that I have done all I can, that I have run the race and finished the course. Then the lord will tell me that I am his son.

1 comment:

  1. I face a similar conundrum. My PB says I should seek inspiration in choosing "a delightful companion" and that I would be blessed with children "to rear and call your own and teach and love, and they will bring great joy to you, and you will be a united and happy family."

    Nowhere does it use a feminine pronoun or reference. The kids are here. The "delightful companion" isn't. Yet?

    I don't know what to make of it either. At this point, I know what I HOPE it means. I think all any of us can do is try to live so that we can receive the inspiration necessary to do our part so the promises can come true.

    ReplyDelete