Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Obligatory Hello World Post - Getting to know me and my blog

Image found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/472097903/ by oskay

Hello World! My name is David Baker, I am 20 years old. I have lived most of my entire life planning on living the life of Peter Priesthood. I often looked at return missionaries who described the fun they had on their mission with disdain because I felt as if I knew what a mission was about. It was really about sacrificing your life for the Lord and teaching people about the truth by losing yourself in the work. I always had dreams of becoming the AP on my mission to China, of becoming a stake president, and becoming very skilled at ancient languages, the scriptures, and eventually be the one to find the Chinese or Indian equivalent of the Book of Mormon that would add more light and knowledge to eternal gospel. I wanted to find a perfect girl who was smart, athletic and tall at BYU whom I would marry and have at least 4 kids with. I planned on spending the rest of my life with her as we raised our kids and grandchildren. A short time ago, all of those dreams came crashing down as I sat on a plane and realized that I am Gay. I am Gay and I am Mormon. Either of these two roles in life would be difficult, but putting them together into one person is the equivalent of being a vegan cowboy. I have spent the last 7 months struggling to come to terms with this dichotomy but it still presents so many problems in my life and it probably will for a long time to come. I have included a video from YouTube in which I answer a couple of my subscribers’ questions that pertain to this inner dilemma that I face. I feel as if the video provides a decent anecdote for my struggle. At the end I discuss where I plan to take this blog and my future vlogs in dealing with my personal dilemma online.



No comments:

Post a Comment